Here at Lindy’s Cakes we are always being asked for a the best recipe to use when decorating cookies, we use a few, but I think the winner has to be my vanilla cookie recipe. It not only tastes good and keeps well, it doesn’t spread to much when baking – a very important factor when you want to bake and decorate shaped cookies.
How to make and bake vanilla cookies
75g (3oz) butter, diced
1 small egg, beaten
275g (10oz) plain flour, sifted
30ml (2 tbsp) golden syrup
5ml (1 tsp) baking powder
100g (3½oz) caster sugar
2.5ml (½ tsp) vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC (reduce by 10 – 20 degrees for fan)/ 325ºF/ Gas Mark 3
- Place the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a hollow in the centre and pour in the beaten egg, golden syrup and vanilla extract.
- Mix together well until you have a ball of dough.
- Place the dough in a plastic bag and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to 5mm thick and stamp out the biscuits, using your chosen cutters. Lightly knead and re-roll the trimmings together again to use up all the dough.
- Place the biscuits on baking sheets.
- Bake biscuits for 12-15 minutes until lightly coloured and firm but not crisp.
- Leave on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cookie decorating reference book
If you’d like a physical reference that includes this vanilla cookie recipe plus a couple of others, and I know that many of you do, the book you need on your bookshelf is my “Bake me I’m yours…cookie“ book. It is full of decorating ideas to inspire you too!
Decorated cookie inspiration and information
Over the years I must of baked and decorated thousands upon thousands of cookies, I love them. They are quick and highly effective and make wonderful small gifts that bring joy into peoples lives. If you’d like to see many more examples of the cookies I’ve decorated, many using my vanilla cookie recipe as a base, please take a look at our ‘Be inspired by cookies‘ page. Here you’ll find a wealth of ideas, links to cookie cutters and a free how to cookie decorating tutorial.
If you have found this blog useful, please share:
Happy baking and decorating
‘Bringing world-class sugarcraft into your kitchen’