Cake Decoration Heaven magazine, is a relatively new kid on the block when it comes to the cake decorating press. Brought to you by the enthusiastic baking people at Food Heaven – the Spring 2013 issue is full of inspiring cake decorating ideas, mind you I may be slightly biased as nine of my cakes (from some of my earlier books) are featured! There’s a ‘what’s new’ section and a decorating products section to give you a few ideas, a competition or two and finally on the back page my interview, introduced by Cake Decoration Heaven as follows:
“We catch up with Lindy Smith, one of the UK’s best loved cake decorators, to find out where she gets her design inspiration from and what have been the highlights of her career so far”
I’m sure you wouldn’t be surprised if I said I still get a buzz at seeing my name in print, especially on the cover of a excellent cake decorating magazine: ‘Expert advice – discover new techniques with Lindy Smith‘. There is just something about the printed word and something very tactile about a magazine or book – don’t get me wrong I adore the internet, but I suppose these days print is a little more special!
The cakes of mine that have been featured represent a good cross section of my earlier work, they range from an elegant teapot, stacked wedding cake with sugar bride and groom to cute animals and fun children’s cakes. Here’s what’s included:
- Nursery Christening blocks from my ‘Cakes to Inspire and Desire‘ book
- Spring tea party from my ‘Celebrate with a Cake’ book – love this teapot cake!
- Valentine Romance again from ‘Celebrate with a Cake’
- Bride and Groom cake from ‘Celebrate with a Cake’
- Prickly visitor – my hedgehog cake from my ‘Party Animal Cakes‘ book
- Whale of a time again from ‘Party Animal Cakes’
- Perfect pet cupcakes from my ‘Bake me I’m yours Cupcake Celebration‘ book
- King Arthur’s castle from my ‘Storybook Cakes’ book – a great boys cake
- The runaway train also from ‘Storybook Cakes’ – my children always adored this one especially the cargo of sweets in the wagons
Finally my interview, which I think speaks for itself:
N.B. I’ve spotted a typo – I’m at the Cake International exhibition in Manchester in March and not the show mentioned which is in April!
Happy baking and decorating