At the recent cake decorators seminar in Sydney, I demonstrated how to decorate a selection of my cookie designs. This relatively new idea to Australian’s seems to have gone down a treat. Due to multiple requests for a good recipe, below you will find my favourite spiced orange cookie recipe from my ‘Bake me I’m yours… cookie’ book.
Spiced Orange Cookie Recipe
An excellent recipe to use whenever you are planning on decorating cookies, be they for a tropical birthday party or a Christmas feast.
To bake these cookies you will need:
75g (3oz) butter
75g (3oz) soft brown sugar
30ml (2tbsp) honey
Zest from one orange
10ml (2 tsp) orange juice
225g (8oz) plain flour, sifted
5ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate soda
5ml (1 tsp) cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/ 325ºF/ Gas Mark 3
- Place butter, sugar, honey, orange zest and juice in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved and the butter melted.
- Sieve the flour and dry ingredients in a bowl
- Add the melted ingredients. Mix well until the dough becomes firm.
- Place the dough in a plastic bag and chill in the fridge for 40 minutes
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to 5mm thick and stamp out the cookies, using your chosen cutters. If you are using a template, cut around the template with a knife for each cookie.
- Lightly knead and re-roll the trimmings together again to use up all the dough. Place the biscuits on baking sheets.
- Bake biscuits for 10-15 minutes until lightly coloured and firm but not crisp. Leave on the tray for two minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tip: Why not try adding the zest and juice of a lemon for Zingy lemon-flavoured cookies
I’d love to hear how you get on and what you think of this deliciously spicy recipe.