Some taste combinations work beautifully together and one of my current favourites is chocolate and raspberry. These two ingredients not only look fantastic together but compliment each other extremely well, as the tartness of the raspberries is balanced by the sweetness of the chocolate.
This year, the raspberries at the bottom of my garden are being wonderfully prolific, which has meant I’ve been able to experiment with combining both these wonderful flavours into a cake. My resulting recipe is detailed below. I hope you find it popular, it certainly is with my team here at Lindy’s Cakes HQ.
Lindy’s Chocolate and Raspberry Cake Recipe
(approx 24 cupcakes)
NOTE: My instructions are for cupcakes, as I find these little cakes are a good way to experiment and taste test. However this recipe works equally well baked as a larger cake.
120g (4oz) good quality dark chocolate
180g (6 1/2oz) butter
220g (8oz) caster sugar
200g (7oz) self-raising flour
4 Tablespoons cocoa
80g (3oz) ground almonds
200g (7oz) fresh or frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 170° C (325°F) Gas 3
- Line bun or muffin trays with paper cupcake cases.
- Place chocolate, water, butter, sugar, into a large pan and warm over a low heat until the dissolved.
- When the mixture has cooled beat in the eggs.
- Sift flour, cocoa and ground almonds into a bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Gradually pour the cooled liquid into the well and beat with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Carefully stir in the raspberries.
- Pour the mixture into the cupcake cases, ensuring that each cupcakes has at least one raspberry. They should be about three quarters full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a fine skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes for a couple of minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Decorating your Chocolate and Raspberry Cakes
When your chocolate and raspberry cakes come out of your oven you will notice that the tops are no longer flat, this is due to the baked raspberries and perfectly normal. For a simple yet delicious topping I like to add chocolate ganache and sometimes a fresh raspberry as well. These yummy cakes however, are also perfect topped with a swirl of flavoured buttercream and a decoration or two.
For easy to use moulds, cutters and other sugarcraft equipment to help you add simple decorations, visit our online shop. I’m sure you will be inspired.
A perfect teatime treat!
Moist, delicious and full of flavour – are you tempted?
Happy baking and decorating
‘Bringing world-class sugarcraft into your kitchen’