I recently discovered a passion fruit cupcake recipe, one I picked up in a supermarket on a trip to Singapore. I have always adored passion fruit, such a fabulous flavour, so exotic and tangy, so I knew I simply had to bake this recipe. It was a big success, so I’m sharing this delightful recipe, slightly tweaked, with you. Passion fruits are now readily available in UK supermarkets so there is no reason why you can’t enjoy this recipe too!
Passion fruit cupcake recipe:
Makes approx 20 standard cupcakes or 15 large cupcakes
You will need:
100g unsalted butter
110g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
pulp of 5 passion fruit
grated rind of one lemon
160ml (2/3 cup) sour cream (also works with creme fraiche)
280g (2 1/4 cups) self-raising flour
How to bake these cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 170C/325F/gas mark 3.
- Line trays with cupcake cases.
- Beat butter and sugar in a bowl until light and creamy.
- Add eggs gradually, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Add the passion fruit pulp and grated lemon rind, beat until combined.
- Add the sour cream and flour, mix until smooth but do not over beat.
- Spoon or pipe the mixture into cupcake cakes.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a fine skewer inserted into the centre of one cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
You can decorate your little passion fruit cupcakes however you would like. Here at Lindy’s Cakes we stock many useful products in our shop to help you do just that. Moulds are one of my favourite ways of adding quick, easy and effective decorations. However if you just want a simple icing to enhance the cupcakes flavour try the following:
Passion fruit cream cheese icing recipe:
100g cream cheese
125g icing sugar
Pulp of one passion fruit
- Beat cream cheese and icing sugar together in a small bowl until light and creamy.
- Add the passion fruit pulp and beat until smooth and fluffy
- Add to the top of cooled cupcakes shortly before serving
Further decorating ideas
If you prefer to be a little more adventurous with your decoration, we have a whole ‘be inspired by cupcakes‘ page dedicated to giving you ideas and inspiration. In the meantime here are some really useful silicone cake moulds that are perfect for decorating cupcakes.
Click on the picture to see the full range of cake decorating moulds we currently have in stock.
Passion fruit cupcakes – what others think
I love this passion fruit cupcake recipe, so when I see passion fruits on offer in the supermarket I often grab a bag. I’m not the only one…here are a couple of comments from our Facebook page:
“Hi Lindy I made these, this afternoon and its a fab recipe, I made the cream cheese icing ever so slightly thicker but they are still great. I have posted some pics too :o) xx” Jill Padayachee:
“Loved them Lindy, only tried one and then froze the rest, was away, so will ice them later…..” Geraldine Whelan
I hope you feel inspired to get baking.
Lindy Smith x
‘Bringing world-class sugarcraft into your Kitchen’