I grew up watching Blue Peter (a BBC TV children’s Programme) where the presenters, when I watched it all those years ago, always gave their dogs baked and decorated birthday cakes. It never occurred to me however, to do the same for my own dogs – until NOW!!
I have recently become involved in the development and launch of an innovative new product called the “Magic Baking Tin“. A tin that can really easily be made into many, many shapes. One of the shapes that jumped out at me was a dog bone.
So I set about researching and trying cake recipes for dogs – here is the one I decided to use. The recipe is basically a savoury cake, it has no sugar and is made from peanut butter and carrots.
A carrot and peanut butter dog cake recipe
You will need:
- 2 eggs
- 125g (4.5oz) Peanut butter
- 125ml (4.5 fl oz) Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 250g (9oz) Grated carrot (approx two large carrots)
- 260g (9oz) Wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat your oven to 175°C/350°F/Gas 4
- In a large bowl mix the egg, peanut butter, oil and vanilla, then stir in the carrots.
- Add the bicarb to the flour, then fold into the mixture.
- Spoon into your lined cake tin and bake for approximately 30 – 40 minutes
Note: The mixture is the perfect quantity to make the small bone shape using the Magic Baking Tin.
Below is a short promotional video of us decorating a dog bone cake that we made to help with the launch of the Magic Baking Tin. I hope you enjoy watching, my little helpers are my two nieces and one of their friends. We all had a lot of fun and the dogs thoroughly enjoyed their treats.
I’d love to hear about your dog baking stories so please feel free to comment below