Often Madeira cake is left plain but there are lots of ingredients that you can use to add a different flavour.
For a six egg quantity Madeira, an 20cm (8 inch) round cake, try one of the following
· Lemon – Finely grated rind of 2 lemons (this is the traditional flavouring)
· Vanilla – 1 tsp vanilla extract
· Cherry – 350g (12oz) glace cherries, halved
· Coconut – 110g (3 ¾ oz) desiccated coconut
· Almond – 1tsp almond extract and 3 tbsp ground almonds
The Chocolate Cake recipe that Lindy uses can also be flavoured. We did a Chocolate Orange recipe for a client which was very successful using the zest of 2 oranges and 2 tsp of orange extract for the 20cm (8 inch) chocolate cake.
The recipes for both the Madeira and Chocolate cakes are in all of Lindy’s cake decorating books.
Our list isn’t by any means complete, so please do add any other flavouring suggestions that you would like to share with our readers.